11.18.2012

What To Drink As A Runner




I have been researching several different sources from books, magazines, and personal trainers on what the best drinks are to help a runner. Here is what I have found.

PreRun
Coffee or tea- caffeine has been shown to boost endurance.

Coconut water- the clear liquid found in coconuts is packed with electrolyte potassium.

I almost always have a cup of coffee an hour before my runs. Its just the perfect pick-me-up! I remember during the Savannah Rock n Roll half marathon we made a 5:30am coffee stop.

MidRun
Salt packets-  Most long distance runs will have them on hand at water stations.

Electrolyte tablets- They dissolve quickly in water and are a low calorie way to replenish electrolytes.

Sports Drinks- Carbs provide mid run energy while sodium helps replace electrolytes lost though sweat.

I like to take in a lot of water on my long runs because I use the GU packets to replenish what I have loss.

PostRun
Veggie juice- has a good source of sodium to help replace electrolytes.

Chocolate milk- Its inexpensive and has the right amount of carbs to protein ratio for muscle recovery. This one seems to be divided down the middle, some people say yes and some say no its to much sugar.

Fruit juice- High calorie so drink in moderation. Tart cherry juice has melatonin which research has found may reduce inflammation when consumed on a regular bases.

Smoothies- This is what I use a lot. Fruit and yogurt blends provide antioxidants and protein.

During the week
I drink a lot of water. I feel so much better when I am hydrated during the week. I might allow myself one diet soda as a treat. I went from regular soda to diet soda to flavored waters. You dont have to make a big change all at once.



What do you drink after a long run?



 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...