7.12.2012

My 16 Week Half Marathon Training Plan

I have had a lot of people message me and ask what does my 16 week half marathon training plan look like so I thought I would share it. I have looked at several different programs and put this one together because I felt it fit me best.




Week- 1
Run 1   3 mile run
Run 2   Run hills as hard and fast as I can
Run 3   Long run 5 miles

Week- 2
Run 1   3 mile run
Run 2   treadmill speed drill or 1 mile slow   2nd mile fast  3rd mile slow
Run 3   Long run 6 miles

Week- 3
Run 1   3 mile run
Run 2   4 400 meters at track
Run 3   long run 5 miles

Week- 4
Run 1    3 mile run
Run 2    fartleck on flat ground for 30 minutes
Run 3    Long run for 7 miles

Week- 5
Run- 1   3 miles
Run- 2   Run hills as hard and fast as I can
Run 3    long run 6 miles

Week- 6
Run- 1   Run 3 miles
Run-2    treadmill speed drill or 1 mile slow 2nd mile fast 3rd mile slow
Run-3   Long run 8 miles

Week-7
Run- 1   Run 3 miles
Run-2    Run 4   400 meters
Run-3    Long run 5 miles

Week-8
Run-1    Run 3 miles
Run-2    fartleck on flat ground for 30 minutes  
Run-3    Long run 9 miles

Week-9
Run-1     Run 3 miles
Run-2     Run hills
Run-3     Long run 5 miles

Week-10
Run-1  Run 3 miles
Run-2  treadmill speed drill or 1 mile slow 2nd mile fast 3rd mile slow
Run-3  Long run 10 miles

Week-11
Run-1  Run 3 miles
Run- 2 5 400 meters
Run-3  Long run 5 miles

Week-12
Run-1   Run 3 miles
Run-2   Run 4  400 meters
Run-3   Long run 11 miles

Week-13
Run-1 Run 3 miles
Run-2  Run hill repeats
Run-3   Run 5 miles

Week-14
Run-1   3 miles
Run-2   treadmill speed drill or 1 mile slow 2nd mile fast 3rd mile slow
Run-3  Long run 12 miles

Week-15
Run-1  Run 3 miles
Run-2  Run speed work on treadmill
Run-3   Long run 8 miles

Week-16
Run-1   3 miles
Run-2   Run 2 miles very easy pace
Run-3   Long run RACE DAY!!!

I have one rest day where I do NOTHING. I try to go to the gym for weights twice a week. If my legs are really sore I use that gym day for arms, chest and back workout. I try to do a lot of stretching during the week.
My diet is very strict but I do allow a cheat meal every now and then but it a cheat meal not cheat day! I take in a lot of water every single day. I prepare my meals the night before and always lay out my workout clothes so there is no reason I cant do it!
On a side note just remember the reason my diet is strict is because this half marathon I have a goal to run with a 15 pound weight loss. Not everyone needs to keep a strict diet because you might already be at your goal weight.


I hope you find this helpful. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...